Freshmen share their anticipations and fears

Every year in colleges around the world, a new class of freshmen find themselves embarking on a new academic journey. Before many of them even set foot on campus, they are equipped with a preconceived picture painted by their previous teachers, parents, family, and friends of how things will be.

Instead of another article giving freshmen more advice, various students shared the advice they’ve received that is most useful to them along with their own anticipations and fears of their next four years.

Freshman Nicholas Dorner said, “staying on time, making sure you get all your stuff done for your classes, being a part of the community and just making college what you want it to be,” is the advice he plans to follow.

Freshman Mi’Yana Solomon said the biggest advice she received was to “get involved and make a good bit of friends.”

She said, “I think I’ll listen to it just because I really like talking. But if you’re not a group kind of person, I’m sure there’s a smaller setting at every college that you can do, but it’s just like finding your little place, your little home away from home.

Someone very far from home was sophomore and first year transfer student Bri Sievenpiper, from Juno, Alaska. She applied to the National Student Exchange Program and was placed here at the University of New Orleans.

She said, “I think I’m kind of nervous about the same things that I’m excited about, like being away from home, experiencing all the new things that the school and city has to offer, taking classes that pertain to my major and not just general education, [and more].”

According to Solomon, the most exciting thing about her new journey is the food. She said, “I’m not even going to lie, I love food and New Orleans is known for their food. I’m from about an hour away in Baton Rouge, but the food’s not as good as it is here. There’s everything here.”

While New Orleans excited her, there were also elements that she said made her nervous.

Solomon said, “I hear New Orleans’ driving is very defensive and you can’t be afraid, so I’m probably going to wait at the same stop sign for a good 20 minutes before I actually go. I [also] have zero sense of direction, so not only am I probably going to get lost on campus, but I’m probably going to get lost when I try to go places too.”

Though to varying degrees, one thing all three students agreed on was that high school prepared them well enough for college.

Dorner said, “I went to Archbishop Shaw High school. Go Eagles! I would say Shaw taught me to be prepared for college. We learned about time management and organization.”

On a different note, Sievenpiper said, “I went to a public school so I got what I got. I had some pretty good teachers in high school but I also had some not-so-great teachers, but I guess it prepared me alright.”

“Well, it depends on your major. I’m a biology major and I feel very prepared, but from my high school, [for instance], if you’re a film major, I feel you’re not as prepared,” said Solomon.

Class is now in session and only time can reveal the truth about college to incoming freshmen. In the meantime, if any freshmen need help transitioning, they can contact First Year Experience at the Privateer Enrollment Center in the library.