Department of Management and Marketing hosts first Spring Management Week

Jamie Lloyd, News Editor

The University of New Orleans’ Department of Management and Marketing celebrated its first Management Week from March 13-17. The week kicked off with a number of events geared toward workplace leadership, including professionals around the city visiting to impart their valuable business expertise to prospective entrepreneurs.

One of the highlights from the inaugural week was a panel discussion entitled “Everything You Want to Know About the Job Search but Were Afraid to Ask,” last Thursday, March 16, which invited some of the city’s most knowledgeable business minds to speak of their own personal experience with job hunting.

“In the fall, we always do Marketing Week, [whereas] in the spring we have now started to do Management Week,” said Pamela Kennett-Hensel, chair of the department. “This panel discussion is an opportunity for students to ask people that do a lot of interviewing, people who can share their advice when it comes to [going] about searching for a job.”

The panel featured 504ward executive director Mary Matthews, Humana Marketpoint community sales and marketing liaison Joe Ewell, and Rare Insight speaker Jessica Rareshide.

The three entrepreneurs tackled the importance of goal-setting in the job hunting process, interview tips, resume-building and creating relationships through networking.

“Job-searching is a full-time job … a full-time commitment” explained Jessica Rareshide.

Rareshide did not shy away from giving students some advice. “You get to decide where you’re going to work. That’s the first step. Research and find certain companies that interest you.”

“Everyone wants to be in meaningful work,” said Rareshide, pointing out that active job seekers should search for a company with “a mission statement that aligns with your life.”

Sophomore in business administration, Jackie Le Vvintre, had a few notable takeaways from the panel discussion. Le Vvintre said she attended the event for extra credit in her business classes but stayed after for the expert advice presented at the hour-long panel discussion.

“Besides [attending for] extra credit, I like learning about what other people have to say, leadership-wise,” said Le Vvintre.

Le Vvintre went to another event hosted by the department focusing on the career of  Pat Warner, Vice President of Culture for the Waffle House Corporation, last month. “Last time I came, I wasn’t sure if it would be worth it or not, but it was,” she said.

As of now, Le Vvintre is in the ROTC program at Tulane and is joining the marine corps, but her future plans include opening businesses of her own.

“I want to open my own business for home staging, and I want to open my own gym.”

Le Vvintre said she values the message from the panel and plans to attend other events put on by the department,  which she sees as “free opportunities to learn more about the business world.”