Beach Volleyball goes 2-2 at Badger Beach Bash

Courtesy of UNO Athletics

The University of New Orleans beach volleyball team competed in its second event of the 2017 season this past weekend, going 2-2 in the Badger Beach Bash. The two victories at one event match a program record set last year at the Pelican Classic, while the three 5-0 shutout-victories in one season are a new record.

At the top flight for the Privateers, the duo of redshirt-junior Cara Sander and freshman Victoria Corcoran went 3-1 for the weekend, tied with the pairing of senior Brook Frank and freshman Rachel Kuhn for the best UNO outings at the Badger Beach Bash.

New Orleans kicked things off with a commanding 5-0 victory over Huntington, holding the opposition to under 10 points in four sets while never allowing a Hawks duo to score more than 16 in one frame. In Saturday’s second match, the Privateers’ tandem of sophomore Samantha Uline and freshman Karly Baker gave their Florida Atlantic University counterparts two competitive sets on the fifth court, but lost 21-18, 21-17 while UNO lost the overall match 5-0.

On Sunday, the Privateers won in straight sets at the top three positions against Austin Peay, while prevailing in three-set bouts on courts four and five to complete the 5-0 sweep. At the fourth position, the pair of senior Lauren Levy and freshman Brianna Vega cruised to a 21-9 opening set victory, but a 20-22 setback in the sequel forced a third frame. In the tiebreaker, the Privateers’ duo prevailed 15-10. In similar fashion, Uline and Baker won 21-14 in the opener at the fifth position before a 19-21 second set loss forced the tiebreaker. The pair kept the shutout victory in tact with a 15-11 win in the deciding set.

UNO came close to their first 3-1 weekend in program history, losing three of the five opening sets to Spring Hill 21-19, but lost the second sets of those matches 21-19 on court 2, 21-13 on court four and 22-20 on court five.

The Privateers play their first match in the state of Louisiana this season on Thursday, Mar. 16 when they take on Louisiana-Monroe on the road. UNO will see the Warhawks twice this week, as both teams will be competing in the Third Coast Classic in Houston, Texas. Host Houston Baptist, Texas A&M-Kingsville and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi are also on New Orleans’ docket while competing in the weekend event.