Technology: Friend or Foe

John Hiltons, Contributor

I remember growing up listening to my pastor preach about how the world has come to a place of consistently desiring instant gratification.

He grew up in a time before we had instant mashed potatoes and remembers when the microwave oven became more affordable and more popular.

I remember a sermon he gave where he preached on the dangers of the music we listen to. “With the Walkman and Discman radios filling our heads with noise, we wouldn’t be able to hear our own thoughts, much less be able to think on the things of God,” he said.

Today, instant gratification has gone to a whole new level. With a smart phone, a young man can order food online to be delivered to his door, find fulfillment in conquering a kingdom in some fantasy world, troll people he will never actually meet in person from the safety of cyberspace, check the likes on his social media status to validate his acceptance, and have a late-night rendezvous to fulfill any remaining needs he may have, all while listening to the music he is demanding at the moment  – and maybe even submit his homework, if he finds the time.

This makes me think that vanity, corruption of values, loss of integrity, poor communication skills, and a tainted feeling of security and independence can all be linked to an unhealthy use of modern technology.

An unhealthy use of resources is not the fault of technology or progress. For as many resources as we have to enter into a lifestyle of sin and vanity, we have just as many seeking to keep us on, or bring us to, the straight and narrow path.

We have access to accurate information with a simple Google search. We can educate ourselves on current events and world issues so completely that we can confidently advocate for reform if we simply put in the time to learn. Because of technology, we can read the Bible in more languages and find more study material than at any other time in human history, yet people are setting their faith aside and are more biblically iliterate than ever before.

The modern day issue is not technology. The issue is actually older than the first computer, older than the creation of ink and papyrus, and this issue will endure until individuals learn how to control their own hearts.

Around 950 B.C. a king named Solomon wrote, “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” It is the heart of mankind, the seat of human emotion and the internal thermostat of desire that we must learn to control.

Until we, as individuals, learn to take responsibility for our actions and discipline ourselves, we will always compromise our values and place blame on outside stimuli instead of looking at the real culprit.
Will we blame technology as the reason we shut ourselves away from the things of God and the truth of his son, Jesus. Will we ever open our hearts up to use technology as a platform for searching out the truth and growing our faith?