Women’s Tennis Shows Depth In 4-0 Win

Courtesy of UNO Athletics

The University of New Orleans women’s tennis team hosted Southern University on Saturday afternoon, completing the weekend sweep with a 4-0 win.

Junior Anja Luethi led the Privateers with victories at the top slot in both singles and doubles play, while senior Yasmine Rashad also went 2-0 on the day.

“I’m really pleased with how everyone did today,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “Everyone got bumped up into different positions and were paired up with different doubles partners but we were still able to get the job done. [Anja] Luethi continues to impress me; she played amazing at the top position.”

New Orleans (3-2) took the doubles point with two victories on courts where the duos were playing together for the first time this season. At the top doubles position, Luethi and freshman Yurina Asai cruised past Stephanie Mbaya and Tanaka Chakanyuka of Southern (0-3) 6-1, while Rashad and sophomore Paula Garriga prevailed 6-4 over D’Jeri Raymond and Nicki Neal at the third flight in Garriga’s first doubles match of the spring. Moving up to the second slot for the first time, the pair of sophomore Brittany Johnson and freshman Claudette Gilhespie led Southern’s Rufaro Chirewa and Darnesha Moore 5-3 before their match was called off.

In singles play, Luethi played at the Privateers top flight for the first time since her freshman season and proved she can play at the position with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Mbaya. In similar fashion, Gilhespie jumped up two slots to the second position against Southern and won in straight sets 6-4, 6-2. Rashad ended the math on court four, taking the opening set 6-0 before surviving a late rally from Chakanyuka in the second to take it 7-5. Johnson, Garriga and Asai played on courts three, five and six with those matches being called off after New Orleans clinched the victory.
The Privateers return to action on Friday, Feb. 17 when they host Nicholls in their Southland Conference opener at 2 p.m.