Men’s Tennis Opens Up Season With 6-1 Victory Over Alcorn State

Courtesy of UNO Athletics

Privateers start season 1-0 after defeating Alcorn State

The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team played its first match of the spring 2017 season on Friday afternoon, setting the standard for the upcoming campaign with a 6-1 victory over Alcorn State.

The victory marks the second-consecutive season the Privateers have won their season opener, and the sixth time in the last seven seasons that they have started 1-0.

“I couldn’t have asked for them to play any better than they did today,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “Alcorn is no pushover team; they have already played some strong teams and were competitive against them, so for us to win how we did was impressive.”

The Privateers (1-0) took the doubles point via a sweep of doubles play, only dropping six games between the three matches. On court two, the pairing of Nicolas Kramer and Federico Staksrud won the first match of the afternoon with a 6-0 rout of their Alcorn State (0-9) opposition. Courts one and three finished around the same time with identical 6-3 results, as Jeffrey Hsu and Federico Boscarino won at the top flight while Luis Albuquerque and Giacomo Adoncecchi prevailed at the third slot.

In singles action, Staksrud kicked things off with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Nischay Rawal at the fourth flight, followed shortly by Adoncecchi on court six with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Nuno Rocha to put UNO one victory away from victory. The deciding point came from Kramer at the third slot, muscling out a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Suyash Gupta.

Albuquerque and Hsu got the Privateers two more points on courts five and one with scores of 6-3, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-4 over Alcorn State’s Ivan Matas and Nikita Kostikov. The only match to go into a third set was at the second position, where Boscarino took the opener 6-1, but lost the second 6-3 and the tiebreaker 10-6.

The Privateers are back in action on Friday, Feb. 10 when they host Loyola University (New Orleans) at 2 p.m.