University celebrates Homecoming week with weeklong celebration

Muhammed+Farooq+and+Queen+Ana+Mu%C3%B1os+crowned+homecoming+King+and+Queen.+
Muhammed Farooq and Queen Ana Muños crowned homecoming King and Queen.

Brennan Probst

Brennan Probst

Christopher Walker, Editor - in - Chief

This past week, UNO held its annual Homecoming celebration with a week-long celebration leading up to the big game against Nicholls state. UNO managed to pull off a victory in both the women’s and men’s game.

The Homecoming King and Queen were revealed at the halftime of the men’s game, with King going to senior engineering majors Muhammed Farooq and Queen Ana Muños.

The King and Queen were picked from a court of five males and five females, who were nominated by different organizations on campus.

“First off, I was honored to be nominated at all by Theta Xi Fraternity, and then I was very honored to be on the final court,” said sophomore accounting major and Homecoming court member Ariana Longoria.

In addition to king and queen, campus organizations competed against one another this past week to win recognition at the game. For every member of a team that signed in at events, points were awarded.

Homecoming unofficially kicked off the last weekend in January, with this year’s theme being “Laissez les bons temp roulez.” Organizations willing to participate in Homecoming were assigned different buildings on campus to decorate, and could color the sidewalks with chalk in the quad if they wished.

Monday morning, an email was sent out to the entire student population notifying them they could vote for the Homecoming King and Homecoming Queen.

At noon on Monday, Homecoming officially kicked off with a celebration in the Quad. The festivities continued that night, where the University hired a hypnotist to come perform in the UC ballroom.

Homecoming court member Nora Bloemer said, “I really liked the hypnotist, it was my favorite part of the week other than the game. Before that event, I did not believe hypnotism worked. But he really hypnotized people; two of my sorority sisters went under his spell.”

“I know they would never do that, my sisters would never put on a show like that. It was crazy, I don’t know what to believe anymore.”

On Tuesday, the celebrations continued with free funnel cakes and fried Oreos given out at the library. At the same time, students could bring an old t-shirt from another university in and exchange it for a brand-new UNO shirt.

On Wednesday, a student showcase was presented in the UC, with artwork from different students on display. That night, there was a trivia competition where the theme was Louisiana and New Orleans history.

On Thursday, the University showed the recent blockbuster “Deepwater Horizon” on the Maestri Baseball Field, and allowed students to relax on the baseball outfield and bring snacks and drinks.

On Friday, in the UC, a pep rally was held. Homecoming court member Hayley Herbert said, “My favorite event was the pep rally for sure. The cheerleaders, dancers, everyone was there supporting our team. It was nice to see that.”

On Saturday, the day of the Homecoming game, a tailgate started at noon and lasted until the start of the women’s game at 4:00 p.m. There was a cotton candy machine, free food and drinks, and a collection of carnival games with toy prizes.

In a well attended arena, students and fans watched the women’s basketball game narrowly edge out their opponents to win the game, ranking up 81 points to Nicholl’s 77.

During the halftime of the men’s game, the king and queen were announced.

Muhammed Farooq, the king, said “I think everyone who was on Homecoming court really deserved to be there, some of the most genuine, smart people at our university where nominated.”

“I feel honored to be Homecoming King, but I really did not expect it. I was happy to represent my fraternity for the court, and now I’m happy to represent the university for the next year.”

The men’s basketball game continued, and UNO once again took home the prize, beating their opponents 78-69.

Theta Xi fraternity and Delta Zeta sorority took home the prizes given out to organizations.

Herbert said, “Homecoming is about bringing the UNO community together, past and present. It really does matter bringing everyone together.”