Students react to Donald Trump’s surprise electoral college victory

Christopher Walker, Editor-in-Chief

On Tuesday, November 8, the nation watched in a mixture of confusion and wonder as Donald Trump beat every poll and every expectation, including those of his own party, and won enough electoral college votes to secure the presidency over Hillary Clinton.

Some University of New Orleans students weren’t surprised by the results. Cyndy Kader, a sophomore pharmacy major, said, “I wasn’t surprised by Trump’s win. He’s an entrepreneur, he’s charismatic, he draws huge crowds. What I was surprised by was that after election day, people started to show their true faces.”

“Before last Tuesday, it was almost taboo to show your support for Trump. Wearing a ‘Make America Great Again’ hat was considered racist, and few people outwardly supported him. The minute he won, everyone is suddenly Team Trump; people are now more expressive about their support. It’s no longer taboo to show subtle racism.”

UNO is located in a state that votes solidly red, year after year, and university students are well aware of the level of support Trump received in the state.

John Mason, a junior theater major said, “I don’t dislike people that support Trump. The only people I have no respect for is people that support this man because of bigotry and hate. I do not respect that and I do not tolerate it.”

Although urban areas typically vote liberal and rural areas conservative, this election year the trend was intensified. The results had small clusters of solidly blue areas on the coasts, while the entire middle of the country was solid red.

“Part of me is surprised that he won, but another part of me isn’t. I feel like the majority of this nation is divided, and there are people out there who feel ignored. They feel lied to by politicians, and they want change. They think with Donald Trump, they’re going to get change. I don’t think they’re going to get it. I think we’re going to go backward as a country, but that’s what they’re hoping for,” said Mason.

“We’ve been through worse, and we’ve proved, time and time again, that we can survive as a nation.”