No, my vote won’t be waste

Clay Mistich, Contributor

I’m voting third party. Deal with it. The biggest argument against voting third party is the myth of the wasted vote, the idea that if you vote for a candidate who doesn’t win, your vote does not mean anything.

The only wasted vote is a vote that goes against your morals, a vote for the lesser evil.

The circular reasoning behind discouraging third party voting is damaging to everything a democracy is supposed to stand for. An ABC news poll released in August proved that Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are the most unpopular candidates of all time. It’s not hard to see why.

If there is anything I have gathered from the 2016 election season, it’s that Democrats and Republicans are relentless. Fans of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are so loyal and forgiving to their candidates, it’s almost gotten to the point of absurdity.

In America, Democrats and Republicans view the election as a team sport. It’s the red team versus the blue team, and if you’re not with them, you must be against them.

This mentality, combined with a decade’s worth of anti-third-party propaganda in the back of every voter’s mind is precisely why I’ve just about given up on explaining my reasoning behind voting third party.

Our two-party system forces most left- and right-wing minded individuals into the big tents that are our two major political parties. Policies are muddled down and compromised to fit what will attract the most voters come election season. It’s about getting elected or re-elected, not about change.

It’s this reason why many are voting third party. People are sick of politicians whose pockets are lined with the money of corporations and special-interest groups.

With Gary Johnson currently polling around 5 percent and Jill Stein at around 4 percent, the odds of a third-party candidate winning are statistically impossible. We get it, they can’t win. For us, that’s not point.

Shelling out your beliefs to support the agenda of two parties increasingly out of touch with their voters is not something admirable and is not to be taken lightly.

When you enter the voting booth on Nov. 8., think hard about the weight of your decision. Vote based on your ethics and morals. Vote because you are inspired – not forced.