UNO’s Sigma Kappa sorority hosts philanthropic week

Ariana Longoria, Contributor

UNO sorority Sigma Kappa’s annual philanthropic Ultra Violet week is in full swing. The week is comprised of four different events: a pancake dinner, volleyball tournament, male beauty pageant and a kickball tournament.

The proceeds from the week’s events go to Alzheimer’s disease research and environmental philanthropic groups, such as the Maine Sea Coast Mission.

To kick off UV week on Nov. 1, Sigma Kappa held its annual pancake dinner. The women of Sigma Kappa served pancakes, bacons and eggs to hungry customers who paid five dollars for the privilege.

Sigma Kappa’s president, Victoria Hodgson, was optimistic going into this event. “We always have a great outcome for SigKap Flapjacks. Our goal is to raise over $2,000 from that event alone!”

The Ultra Violet Volleyball tournament will place Nov. 2 at Coconut Beach in Kenner, where teams will compete in various games until a winner emerges.

Thursday, Nov. 3, Sigma Kappa will, for the first time in several years, host their King of Hearts male beauty pageant. Contestants will participate in multiple rounds to display their talents and intellect in Kirschman Hall, room 137. Check-in begins at 6:30 p.m. for both of these events.

Saturday, Nov. 5 is the final day of UV Week. In the morning, the women of Sigma Kappa will participate in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s here in New Orleans. Then, at 11:30 a.m, check-in will begin in the Human Performance Center Fields on campus for Kick in the Grass, Sigma Kappa’s kickball tournament.

Sigma Kappa decided to make their semesterly philanthropy event a full week is because it gives students the opportunity to make it to at least one event, if not more. All of these events are open to the public.

Angelle Moncada, a member of Sigma Kappa, said, “Ultra Violet Week means so much more than just fun events and donations. It is about giving to the Alzheimer’s Association in hopes of finding a cure.”