Gary Johnson wins third debate

Adam Poyner, Contributor

Anyone who watched the third and final debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton would likely agree that “more of the same pettiness” is an apt way to describe the night.

The Clinton campaign made an interesting change to Hillary’s debate strategy: she was much more aggressive than in previous debates. Comparatively, she interrupted much less than Donald Trump, and she didn’t talk over the moderator as much as Trump.

Another important difference was the fact that the moderator, Chris Wallace, was much more determined to keep the candidates in line than Lester Holt was in the first debate. He asked excellent, provoking questions. The topic of abortion and reproductive rights was given quite a bit of attention, and the conversation was more detailed than previous debates.

Donald Trump attacked Hillary for her support of Roe v. Wade, but he did not expressly say whether the Supreme Court justices he would appoint would overturn the decision. Hillary explained that her platform on reproductive rights and abortion was more complicated and nuanced, as this is a complex issue.

Sadly, the topics of the Supreme Court and abortion were some of the only coherent conversations the audience got to watch. Within 40 minutes, the debate divulged into the standard back-and-forth name calling, disrespect, interrupting, shouting, and obnoxious display that has come to be expected of these two candidates. In fact, a number of UNO students said they specifically did not watch the debate because they had seen some of the earlier debates and did not want to watch anymore because it was just so frustrating.

According to realclearpolitics.com, Gary Johnson is polling at 5-8 percent in general election polls, and as high as 10-11 percent in certain states such as New Hampshire and Maine. Given the unprecedented unpopularity of these two candidates, an important question rises: Will Johnson pull more support away from Clinton or from Trump?

To get an answer, it’s important to see who is supporting Johnson. His support is largely young people, with 70 percent being under age 50; and about three fifths of his support comes from independents, according to a Sept. 4 article by The New York Times.
If Johnson is able to coax more young voters who are disillusioned with the major parties, it will have a large impact on who wins and which party will take control of Congress. After “such a nasty” debate, it may be easier than before.