Bloomberg Terminal offers valuable opportunities for business students

Jamie Lloyd, Staff

Bloomberg may not be a word that is often synonymous with excitement; however, for business majors at the University of New Orleans, it is a word synonymous with growth and opportunity. For the past three years, UNO has hosted a Bloomberg machine, more formally known as the Bloomberg Terminal, which is a powerful database that allows users to perform business, financial and economic analysis. Here prospective entrepreneurs can get hands-on experience with a machine that performs valuable functions in the world of business such as marketing data and analysis, downloading graphs, and computing comparative statistics in global markets.

“Bloomberg Terminal is a big database, a tool for finance where you can download information, get information [and] read graphs,” explained Duygu Zirek, assistant professor of finance at UNO. “We need data to publish papers. We are glad to have it for research purposes.”

Zirek has been a Bloomberg advocate for years, having been certified through the Bloomberg Terminal during her time as a university student. Although the terminal is mainly used by Ph.D. students to download data, anyone can be certified.

The terminal utilizes a different keyboard and two separate screens that can be split into four, which may seem intimidating to some students, however the certification process is largely self-taught, where users can learn the ropes of Bloomberg at their own pace.

“To get certified by Bloomberg, it takes about six to eight hours,” Zirek explained. “You don’t have to do it all together—you can stop, come back, and start again.”

“In my MBA class, I make it a requirement to be Bloomberg certified. For my undergrad students, I make it a bonus to be Bloomberg certified,” Zirek said. “Although it is not required, I tell them that the certification is very useful for industries, specifically.”

Additionally, the certification is at no cost for UNO students. Whereas typically a Bloomberg certification may have users shelling out upwards of a hundred and fifty dollars, it is free at UNO.

“Because we have Bloomberg here, we make use of it, because it is free here.” Zirek said that in the three years since the university has carried the Bloomberg Terminal, she has seen an increase in undergraduates desiring to be certified, expressing interest beyond just getting extra points for class.

“Many business schools have more than one terminal—so it’s great that we have one,” Zirek said. Although some universities have more than one Bloomberg machine, she pointed out that having even one terminal to offer the university is an asset that should be taken advantage of by aspiring business students, opening doors to new prospects down the road.

“I am definitely seeing increased interest. When I mention the Bloomberg terminal, people are impressed to hear that,” Zirek said. “We are quite proud to have it as a business school.”