Career Services an underutilized tool on campus

Leo Castell, Staff

The University of New Orleans Career Services is a campus resource designed to help students find jobs. While they’ve had four times as many freshman utilizing their services now than in the past, Career Services Director Celyn Boykin still doesn’t think enough students utilize the resources offered. “You must come now; career development is a process, and finding [a career] can take anywhere from six months to a year,” she said.

By visiting their website at www.career.uno.edu, UNO students and alumni can upload their résumés and apply for job postings in the Career Compass jobs database. Students without résumés, or students who want their résumés reviewed, can attend one of Career Services’ many workshops or can set up an appointment. Boykin believes that the feedback they can provide on a student’s résumé is the most useful resource they offer. “I’ve had students walk in with résumés two or three pages long that only need to be one page. Employers typically only look at a résumé for no more than six to ten seconds, so you need to make sure you only have the necessary information on it,” she said.

Career Services will be holding their biannual job fair on Sept. 29 in the Human Performance Center on campus from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students must register in order to attend, and the first 100 to do so will receive a free gift on arrival. “We have 126 employers and counting attending this job fair,” said Boykin. This is a dramatic increase from the job fair held in spring, which had 86 employers. The job fair held last fall only had 35 in attendance. “We actually beat the Superdome’s Career Expo which only had 80 employers,” said Boykin.

The jobs available at this event range from part-time to full-time and even internships. Companies like the Audubon Nature Institute, the FBI, IBM, Royal Honda and many more will be attending. “At least 25 of the companies are hiring engineering students and graduates,” said Boykin. “We have all the companies organized so that if you’re only looking for a job in a particular field, then you only have to stay in one area.”

Career Services also offers, by appointment, mock interviews. A Career Services team member will conduct a mock interview with a student, even requiring the student to dress as if he or she were going to a real interview. “Mock interviews are so critical to the real thing,” said Boykin. “We’re here to help you present yourself as best you can to potential employers, and if you’ve never been interviewed before, it can be intimidating. You don’t want to lose a job you’re qualified for over a bad interview.”
“You need to be very aggressive in finding a job the first semester of your senior year,” said Boykin. “The job market fluctuates, and we’re here to help you navigate it.” For more information or help with Career Services call 504-280-6225, or visit their office on the second floor of the University Center, room 250 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.