Campus Health Fair 2017

Jamie Lloyd

The University of New Orleans chapter for the national pre-medical and pre-dental honor society Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED) is hosting the Alpha Epsilon Delta Health Fair on Wednesday, April 19 from 11am to 3pm in the University Center ballroom. The health fair will serve as a networking opportunity for prospective health professionals as well as educating the UNO student body about health opportunities and services on and off campus.

Some of those services include free HIV and STD testing and blood pressure testing. Additionally, there will be EMT and CPR demonstrations, regional medical schools sponsoring content and representing their programs, and organizations such as the Princeton Review offering assistance for those looking to take the Medical College Admission Test, or MCAT.

Alpha Epsilon Delta Vice President Ariel Hernandez said the health fair is put on by the honors society every spring semester since the spring of 2009. He explained that “the purpose of the event is to help students who are interested in a career in health to become more acquainted with the many opportunities that are offered locally that can help them with whatever they wish to do” in terms of practicing medicine or even simply getting involved with the medical community in the region.

Hernandez said the event is also an “opportunity to network” for volunteering, which is an asset on any medical school application. “If you go to apply to any medical school, they’ll ask you: ‘Have you volunteered?—Are you a person that’s involved in the community?—Are you a leader?—Are you involved in any on-campus organizations?’”

Hernandez himself described how he became a volunteer for the American Cancer Society through networking at the health fair last year.

The Alpha Epsilon Delta Health Fair is open to the public, and is an event for “anyone interested in a career in medicine and people in general who are interested in health.”

Additional information about the health fair can be found on the Alpha Epsilon Delta chapter page through the student organization home page on www.uno.edu. Further questions and inquiries may be directed to [email protected]