“Logan” a fitting conclusion to a superhero’s cinematic legacy

Michael Havermann, Contributor

“Logan” is the latest installment in Marvel’s X-Men series, this film following the final journey of Wolverine and a pugnacious young mutant, Laura. To sum “Logan” up, this is an entertaining action-packed flick with a lot of heart.

Hugh Jackman reprises his role as Wolverine who is a shell of his former self, attempting to live life as a civilian named Logan. His best days appear to be behind him; he is ill and has a drinking problem.

Things seem to turn around for Logan when he is entrusted with the task of taking 11 year old Laura (played by up-and-coming talent Dafne Keen) to a safe haven in North Dakota called Eden. Laura is affected with the same mutation as Logan; sharp metal claws spring from her knuckles at will.

Needless to say, the two sharp-fisted main characters make for quite the duo. The fight scenes are well-done and entertaining, and Keen’s performance as the vulnerable yet tough Laura makes the action all the more compelling.

She projects a confidence and intelligence beyond her years, and her ability to let loose after intense brooding is impressive. Her acting is amazing for a pre-teen. When the feral child is in full effect during “Logan,” it’s mesmerizing.

Jackman tests the outer limits of his drama chops as he externalizes the depressive and destructive nature of Logan; the character mirrors Laura with his outbursts of wildness and rage. Their chemistry is terse and estranged, and the film never takes the easy route of fast friendship.

The journey to Eden is the primary plot of the film – it’s almost like an apocalyptic road trip buddy film. The long rides through the desert and the small-town Americana stops along the way lend “Logan” whispers of an old Western film’s aesthetic.

While the villains are mean, they are not particularly vile. Good and evil are at odds, but are displayed in shades of grey rather than the stark black-and-white “heroes and villains” mantra cinemagoers are weary of by now.

In conclusion, the film is genuine. Even at nearly two and a half hours, “Logan” does not overstay its welcome. The fight scenes are thrilling and it has a few twists to keep the viewer engaged. It’s a fitting swan song for the American icon Wolverine, and a new beginning for the young mutant Laura.