UNO goes 2-0 against No.7 LSU

Owen Magee, #4, 3rd Baseman

Owen Magee, #4, 3rd Baseman

Angelle Cleneay, Social Media Manger

On March 15, the University of New Orleans’ boys in royal blue and white overtook the Louisiana State University Tigers in a freezing, 15-inning showdown deep in the heart of Death Valley ending in a 7–4 victory.

The game began with a 1-0 lead due to a single hit by senior Samuel Capielano and then a double by Junior Tristan Clarke to bring him home. The Tigers responded with a homerun causing them to score three runs creating pressure for the Privateers.

Coach Dean commented on Capielano’s big hitting status this season. “When he gets going, he’s one of those guys who hits and hits and hits. He’s feeling himself, he looks like he did his freshman year.” Capielano came out of the victory with four hits, a game high for him.

Both teams remained scoreless from then on until the top of the fifth inning, when Capielano had another big hit resulting in a run along with a double from senior Dakota Dean to tie the game 3-3. The game went on for another five scoreless innings until junior Owen Magee hit a single to bring in junior Jared McKay. The Tigers responded with their own score at the bottom of the inning.

Finally, after three more scoreless innings, the Tigers gave up three more runs to end the game 7-4.  LSU had four errors to UNO’s two along with 10 hits to UNO’s 13.

Coach Dean said the errors were not costly errors for LSU though. “Their biggest problem was that they couldn’t get the big hit, they had plenty of opportunity, they just couldn’t get that one hit to kind of push the game and end the game.”

“They let us hang around and they ran out of pitching while we were at our last couple of guys, so it was at the point where someone needed to win.”

The Privateers pitching staff played a great game overall; the standout of the game for Coach Dean was junior left-handed pitcher John Michael Stephens. “John Michael threw a little longer than he usually does, kept us out there and got himself a win out of it”.

Coach Dean said it was a big win for him and his team. “When you go back and can win against a coach that coached you and who you look up to … it was pretty special”

Dean said it was an amazing feeling to gain a sweep against his alma mater, the first time the Privateers have done this against the tigers since 2008. Perhaps coincidentally, 2008 was also the last time the Privateers advanced to the NCAA tournament.

Dean said, “It’s a good win, but if we don’t win our conference none of this matters … hopefully, this win will give us our momentum back so this weekend we can put together a couple of wins.”

Sure enough, the Privateers went on to sweep their second conference series against Abilene Christian University. The Privateers will move to the road this weekend to continue conference play against the University of Central Arkansas in Conway, AR. The first game is set for 6 p.m.  on Friday, March 24.