New Orleans hosts Junior Achievement entrepreneurial finalists

Christopher Walker, Editor - in - Chief

Junior Achievement, a national organization implemented in many middle and high schools around the country, has a mission to “inspire and prepare young people to succeed in a global economy,” per their website.

One of the New Orleans branch’s signature events is a program called “Trust Your Crazy Ideas Challenge,” a competition held on March 16 which allowed high schoolers to share their business ideas and compete for first place. This year’s competition was held on UNO’s campus.

Vice President of Administration at the New Orleans Junior Achievement Center Colleen Pinero said, “We have this event every year. Students present their business ideas to a panel of judges, and there’s a huge variety of ideas we hear. They’re always interesting.”

“Judges will rate our students’ ideas and presentations based on the strength of the business model, the presentation they give to the audience, and how well the student thought out the competition from other businesses in the market they are attempting to enter.”

This year, 17 business were introduced. One of them was “Lonely Lambs,” an app designed to connect various lonely people around the city to other users by allowing them to coordinate events together.

“Gas on the Go” was an audience favorite; it centered on the concept of a large gas tanker delivering gas to customers’ cars at night for a $30-per-month subscription fee.

“Effortless Activewear” garnered the most attention, though. Its creators designed a bra able to be worn during high-level sport activity. The design combined traditional elements of bras while also incorporating several athletic aspects of sports bras.

“The winning team will receive a $5,000 scholarship to any school of their choice, and their high school will win $2,500. The first-place winners will go on to next week’s state competition in an effort to win $10,000 in award money,” said Colleen Pinero.

Pinero said that each of the second and third place winners will also receive a scholarship of $2500.

The winner of Thursday’s event will be announced at the March 22 Pelicans game at halftime. That Friday, in conjunction with New Orleans entrepreneur week, the New Orleans Junior Achievement will have a state-wide competition with the winners from the three Junior Achievement centers in Louisiana on their location on Orleans Avenue.