Young Thug a no-show at BUKU, Lil Yachty kills

Christopher Walker, Editor - in - Chief

I did not expect much from my first experience at the BUKU Music + Art Project festival. I’ve been to some of the bigger festivals in the south, including Austin City Limits and Hangout, and I knew this was not a massive draw for festival fans.

Since this was first an EDM-centered music lineup, I knew, upon purchasing the tickets, I was not going to get along well with the crowd. EDM fans are, generally, teenagers, immature and cocky.

However, I bought my one-day festival pass and was going to endure this crowd to see two of my favorite hip-hop acts on Friday: Young Thug and Lil Yachty. Objectively, these acts are two of the hottest names in hip-hop right now, both already famous but gaining a wider recognition and more mainstream hits each and every day.

Young Thug was scheduled to perform at 6 p.m., and Lil Yachty took a different stage at 10:45. My day was entirely centered around these two acts, and nothing else mattered.

So it came as somewhat of a shock when, five minutes before Young Thug was supposed to come on, festival administration announced via a blue-screen on the back of the stage that Young Thug was not going to make an appearance.

BUKU called up Juvenile, whose set was decent, especially considering the late notice. However, he still was not Young Thug.

Friday was almost completely ruined. Although Thug fans tried their best to look past what had happened, there was no denying it: One of the festival’s major headliners, perhaps the headliner, was a no-show.

The day could never fully recover from it, and the disappointment was palpable in the air from that moment forward. It wasn’t uncommon to hear a “f*ck Young Thug” chant before many of the shows.

However, at 10:45 p.m., Lil Yachty came on stage to perform, and he gave an absolutely fantastic show.

Lil Yachty was everything any hip-hop fan could have possibly wanted in a show. He was personable, decent-sounding, and he got the crowd hyped with his perfect set list.

But for hip-hop fans who went to the festival, especially those with just Friday tickets who didn’t get to see 21 Savage close the festival, Young Thug’s absence left a serious gap in the lineup.
As a non-EDM fan, I feel under-qualified to describe how those acts were. Speaking as a massive hip-hop fan, though, BUKU was a letdown. For many festival-goers, this will go down as “the year Young Thug didn’t show up.”