Men’s Tennis heads to the Lone Star State for three matches

Courtesy of UNO Athletics

The University of New Orleans men’s tennis hits the road this week to begin a season-long five-match road swing, starting with three matches in the state of Texas.

The road trip begins on Tuesday, Mar. 14 against Incarnate Word at 12 p.m. The Privateers stay in San Antonio, Texas, the following day for a match against Marquette University, with the Texas trip concluding next week on Saturday, Mar. 25 against Abilene Christian.

“This is going to be another tough two-day stretch of back-to-back matches,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “Both opponents are going to challenge us, but if we can come out strong and play up to our potential we should be able to get two wins. We have had a couple guys battling illnesses lately, and with only six guys on our team it affected us the past couple matches. They are starting to feel better and hopefully we will be back to 100 percent for tomorrow’s conference match.”

The Privateers (4-5, 1-0 Southland Conference) begin the road swing after a three-match homestand, where UNO went 0-3 despite junior Federico Boscarino going undefeated in doubles play in the matches. Junior Federico Staksrud leads New Orleans with 11 total victories, while fellow junior Giacomo Adoncecchi boasts a team-best seven wins in singles play.

UIW (4-10, 0-0 Southland Conference) heads into the matchup against UNO on a four-match skid, most recently losing 4-1 to Georgia Southern. Franciso Bendana leads the Cardinals with a 7-1 mark in doubles play, all at their top flight, while going 4-2 in singles action for 11 combined victories. In the all-time series, New Orleans leads UIW 3-1 winning the past two outings.

The Privateers will be Marquette’s (7-4, 0-0 Big East) first of four opponents in San Antonio, Texas, coming in on a two-match winning streak after 4-3 and 6-1 victories over Utah and NIU. Greg Anderson leads Marquette with 14 victories this spring, seven coming in singles and seven coming in doubles. Overall, Marquette has a winning record in five of the six singles positions, with a 5-6 mark at the top flight. This will be the second all-time meeting between the two teams, with the Golden Eagles prevailing 4-3 back in 2010.

Following the three matches, the Privateers continue the road swing at Jackson State on Wednesday, Mar. 29 at 2 p.m. UNO returns home on Sunday, Apr. 2 when they host Southland Conference foe Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at 11 a.m.