UNO defeats LSU in iconic upset at home

Angelle Cleneay, Social Media Manger

The University of New Orleans ended an eight-game losing streak against the number two ranked Louisiana State University Tigers on Wednesday night at Maestri Field.

With an 11–8 victory, Head Coach Blake Dean and his boys in the royal blue-and-white defeated the LSU Tigers who were nationally ranked at number two after an undefeated weekend. “It was a big win for us. It was a big win for me; obviously we want to stay within reason, it was the fourth game of the season … it did a lot for our program and for our guys, and hopefully for our guys to believe in themselves.”

The Privateers had only managed one run by the third inning and their prospects looked slim walking into inning five behind 6–1. The Privateers met the bottom of the fifth with an explosion of bats as seniors Aaron Palmer and Samuel Capielano started an inning that ended with six runs. The pattern followed in the bottom of the sixth with four more runs after junior William Griffin left the mound at the top of the inning scoreless and later on for four more.

“Seven runs wasn’t going to win it. I knew they would score again, so we would have to score more. I was excited, I was happy, and once the game ended, I was in disbelief that our guys came back and held them off and won.”

Junior Tristan Clarke had the only home run of the game, while eight of the nine starting Privateers got game hits in the victory. Dean said he thought his team played well offensively but they needed to work on striking out less.

“Relentless” is the team’s motto for the season. Dean said, “If they get up, they have to continue to score runs; if they are down, they have to continue to fight back; if we’re playing good defense, we have to continue to play good defense. They can never let up; they have to be relentless the entire game and have that mindset throughout the course of 56 games and hopefully more into the postseason.” Dean said if he and his team can stay relentless and play hard, they will probably be successful.

The Privateers went on to beat Jackson State University 16–2 the following Wednesday but fell 2–1 against Troy University in a series at home. With a current record of 6–3, they will face off against LSU one last time for the season at Alex Box Stadium on March 15.